CeaseFire Week 2013 Kick’s Off Partners Against Violence in Our Streets, Homes and Schools: Men and Women Working Together
Tags: Alliance of Local Service Organizations, ALSO, Attack the Sound, Autry Phillips, ceasefire, CeaseFire Chicago, Dawn Dalton, Las BomPleneras, Neighborhood Recovery Initiative, NRI, Pamela Green, Remedy for Violence Initiative, Seven Seven Three, Toni Berrios
CHICAGO – For the 18th consecutive year, hundreds of community members from across Chicago will join with the Alliance of Local Service Organizations (ALSO) and its partners on Saturday, June 8, 2013 to Walk for Peace.
The theme of this year’s Walk is “Partners Against Violence in Our Streets, Homes and Schools: Men and Women Working Together,” calling for allies, partnerships and power-sharing to address violence in all its forms. ALSO will highlight existing collaborations to end violence: from the Neighborhood Recovery Initiative (NRI) to the CeaseFire Campaign; from domestic violence/community violence partnerships to school/community partnerships. In addition, the Walk for Peace will highlight the role individuals can and have played through the “Your Life is My Life: Ending Violence Starts with Me“ campaign and the Remedy for Violence Initiative. Through initiatives such as these, ALSO recognizes that we are all witnesses to violence or potential violence and have the ability to prevent and intervene in ways that are safe for ourselves and others.
Funding decisions for vital public safety programs like CeaseFire and NRI are currently being finalized by the Governor for the FY14 state budget. Many organizations and individuals who rely on these vital programs will be attending the walk. At the walk we will share strategies to continue violence prevention and intervention efforts to ensure that the City of Chicago is safe for everyone.
|DATE:||June 8, 2013|
|TIME:||10:00am – 2:30pm|
|LOCATION:||Richard Yates Elementary (Cortland and Richmond) – Starting/Ending location (Walk through the neighborhood will culminate at the Yates schoolyard)|
|TIME:||10:00am Participants arrive 10:15am Speakers offer remarks 11:00am Begin walk-through the neighborhood 12:00 – 2:30pm Celebration of Peace|
- State Representative Toni Berrios
- Pamela Green, Principal, Yates Elementary
- Dawn Dalton, Executive Director, Chicago Metropolitan Battered Women’s Network
- Autry Phillips, CeaseFire Spokesperson
- Jorge Roque, CeaseFire Spokesperson
- As well as a variety of other agency leaders and elected officials.
- Confirmed performers include: Emcee DJ Mick, Las BomPleneras, Seven Seven Three, Lisa Lustt, Attack the Sound, and others. The Post-Walk Celebration will include a CeaseFire 3-on-3 basketball tournament, free food, entertainment, games and activities for people of all ages.